Monday, 19 December 2011
Road Trip Fodder (Banana Chop Chip Cereal Muffins...)
We head off on a road trip soon. This gives me a need to reduce pantry stocks, AND plan yummy road trip car snacks.
This recipe uses up all of the bits from the bottom of the cereal boxes - all the crumbs that the kids won't normally eat!
And now that bananas have dropped back down in price, I can use them abundantly in baking again!
I am made these muffins this morning, and stashed a heap in the freezer straight away (they freeze well) so that they are as fresh as a daisy when I take them out the night before we get in the car to travel east.
The rest got eaten for morning tea at the pool. The kids are in a Swim Survive program this week, that is, apparently, hungry work...
Banana, Chocolate and Cereal Muffins
3 ripe bananas
2 cups Bran flakes or All Bran or Guardian (or whatever cereal you're trying to use up!)
1½ cups skim milk
3 tablespoons light olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1½ cups self-raising flour, sifted
2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 180`c
2. Grease a 12-hole muffin pan. (Or use muffin papers or large cup cake papers - this is easier for lunch boxes and travelling.)
3. Mash the bananas in a bowl, then crumble in the cereal and stir in the milk and the vanilla essence.
4. Set aside for 10 minutes.
5. Then beat together the eggs and light olive oil, then add to the banana mixture.
6. Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl and add wet ingredients and choc chips.
7. Stir until just combined, then spoon into the muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into
the centre comes out clean.
8. Cool on a wire rack, and eat warm from the oven or freeze. (I let them cool, then put them into a container, unwrapped, with a lid, and freeze them in the container.)
Tell me your favourite road trip food?