For a whole variety of reasons, not least my own children, I have been pondering a fair bit recently on the idea that birth order among siblings impacts on personalities, and in turn, on family dynamics.
Whether I am thinking of my own three children or other families I know, it seems that there is perhaps, a pattern?
Whether I am
I am one of five. I have three elder siblings and one younger brother. In theory then, I am the fourth born.
Which, apparently, means I carry the following traits:
- entertaining due to the ability to imitate many personalities.
- feels 'not big enough' thus isolated and has a desire for belonging.
- analyzes things from many points of view and can come up with ingenious and balanced ideas.
- is thoughtful, understanding and empathetic of others
- acquainted with feeling vulnerable and can be clingy.
- thinks in comparative ways, giving rise to new ideas and even practical inventions.
- is sympathetic with others who are vulnerable and very protective.
- has challenges being cooperative with others due to having to survive by being rebellious.
- Social and outgoing
- Financially irresponsible
- Attention seeking lovers of limelight
- Manipulative and spoiled
- has the challenge of gaining the lost affection from parents when a baby brother/sister comes along, by waiting for attention.
- covers up the deep longing for love by being tough.
- is an over achiever and has perfectionist traits.
- finds it challenging to share thoughts and feelings.
How about you?
Have you read books on birth order?
Any truth in it all for you?