Sunday, 1 May 2011
My 15 top Twitter Tips for Bloggers...
I was a late adopter to Twitter. As a blogger, blogging is best. And best complimented by Twitter.
In my head I still call it Twitter Twatter.
Over the last 5000 tweets I have become addicted, totally.
It's like flitting into a really cool pub and being able to chat to everyone, without commitment. And then if you discover you like someone, you can engage more, usually via their blog.
I've arranged blogging meet ups, I have forged close friendships over #genehunt and #bespoke TV presenters.
I've watched political shenanigans #spill
I have splurted coffee and snorted red wine late at night.
I am coming off the first flush of love now...but now that the initial rush is fading away to recovery, I can honestly see how effective a social media tool it really is - and I'm a user. A happy but dependant user.
So I give you my best Twitter tips -
1. Use a name that’s pronounceable and memorable.
2. Pick an avatar that’s friendly and clear, and keep it consistent. Your face is best.
3. Tweet every day about topics that interest you. Chat. A lot.
4. Engage in conversations, chat, and retweet other’s best tweets
5. Make every tweet understandable in isolation * Something I do not do - must try harder...
6. Use humour where appropriate. As much as possible. Twitter is the best tool for perfecting wit.
7. Promote others much more than you promote yourself
8. Follow people who are close in terms of interests, and chat. A lot.
9. Follow your followers back (as long as they are REAL, not spammy)
10. Use #hashtags to aid searchability
11. Shorten links - Googles new URL shortener is tops
12. Be brief, trim useless words, and abbreviate 2 allow 4 RTs
13. Use lists to collate groups of people - it makes it easier to manage conversations.
14. Do not get addicted. Ha!
15. Unfollow people who make you cranky.
Do you Tweet? Are you addicted? Do you love it or hate it?