We had another family date at the drive in last weekend.
(My clever daughter, Olivia, won us free tickets, bless her.)
So this weeks treat was Shrek Forever After. (Which was good....I am a little bit of a Shrek fan, to be honest, and this one did not disappoint.)
I was reticent to spend the exorbitant candy bar prices ($7 for a small popcorn?!) so this week we took a picnic dinner of homemade "junk" food.
Which included homemade sausage & vegetable rolls.
Warm, wrapped in foil, eaten in the back of the car.
The recipe is an adaptation of one I found, yet again, in my Granny's collection of recipes......
Homemade Sausage & Vegetable Rolls
500g sausage meat (I get mine from my local butcher, which is a pork and veal mix)
1 small onion, grated
1 large carrot, grated
1 small can creamed corn
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
Salt & pepper
1 egg, beaten
3 sheets puff pastry
Pre-heat oven to 180`c
1. Combine all of the ingredients together in a large bowl, and mix well with your hands.
2. Cut each puff pastry sheet in half
3. Lengthwise, spoon the sausage meat mixture down the middle of each piece of puff pastry
4. Roll over, and seal the pastry with brushed egg wash
5. Place the sausage rolls on baking sheets, lined with baking paper, sealed side down.
6. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sesame seeds (and a little more salt and pepper.)
7. Cut on the diagonal into the size of sausage roll you need (I cut mine into 4, giving me 24 medium sausage rolls.)
8. Bake in an 180`c oven for 20 mins
(We also took a big bag of mandarins, and a handful of Freddo Frogs, as well as a Tupperware tub full of homemade popcorn. We all had a top time, with our drive in picnic...........)